£26,500 – Full time plus On Call Duties
We are looking for someone with relevant qualities and experience to take on a range of leadership and other responsibilities at YMCA Doncaster. We welcome applicants from other sectors and disciplines.
You will be joining a small leadership team, and will receive a full on-the-job induction to the role and to being a key part of the YMCA’s expanding provision for young people in Doncaster.
Your role will vary from time to time, and is specifically designed to fill gaps in leadership and administrative work as necessary. You will therefore need to be adaptable to a range of situations and challenges, and able to learn quickly in order to slot in where needed.
You are likely to have responsibility for particular areas of work for extended periods of time.
The vacancy would be particularly suited to someone looking to progress in a leadership / supervisory role, with scope to learn across the full range of service delivery and to experience some of the operational and support aspects of running a charity.
We are currently considering applications as they come in; please apply at any time. There is no closing date.
All applications are scored against our person specification.
Please note that we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates. If you do not hear from us within three weeks you have unfortunately not been successful on this occasion.
Hours of Work
The basis is a working week consisting of not less than 40 hours plus On Call duties.
On site work will generally be between the hours of 8am and 11pm. Evening work, primarily covering as part of the Duty Managers’ rota, is a regular part of the job.
The On Call provision is in place at all times, including weekends, nights and Bank Holidays, and is covered on a rota basis with three or four individuals.
To assist in the co-ordination and leadership of YMCA Doncaster, taking on a range of responsibilities which will vary according to the needs of the Association.
- To act as a Duty Manager, including dealing with any staffing or other issues arising during periods of duty in accordance with set procedures.
- To provide an out-of-hours On Call service on a rota basis with two or three others, responding effectively to concerns. This will include finding cover in the case of sickness or other absence, or covering a shift at very short notice when no other cover is available.
- To take on appropriate administrative, leadership or project duties including during periods of illness, leave and vacancies.
- To be accountable for delegated responsibilities appropriate to your experience, which may include
– Management or oversight of particular administrative systems, projects, programmes or areas of work
– Developing or revising operating systems and procedures
– Auditing and checking the work of other staff
– Working in individual or group settings with children and young people to deliver learning, support and / or social activities
– Oversight of designated fundraising or communications initiatives / events
- To cover frontline duties, including in the accommodation, retail, community and activities settings where necessary in times of absence or vacancies.
- To keep financial and other records as required.
- To contribute to the selection and induction of new staff and volunteers.
- To oversee minor and / or occasional staffing issues as required, and to take responsibility for particular staff over longer periods where necessary.
- To contribute positively to relationships with other organisations.
- To take an active approach to the role and to be able to work on own initiative within set procedures.
- To develop and maintain appropriately professional relationships with members, users and with other staff, and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- To work within the policies and procedures of YMCA Doncaster, and to contribute to their development.
- Other reasonable duties as required from time to time by the Line Manager.
Person Specification – Please ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how you meet each of the criteria below.
- Experience of taking responsibility for people, resources or buildings.
- Able to demonstrate sufficient presence, confidence and professionalism for undertaking a management role.
- Able to cover On Call duty, to remain within receiving range of the mobile phone at all times, and to be on site within two hours in the event of an emergency situation.
- Able to demonstrate adaptability and the ability to learn quickly.
- Able to use Microsoft Word and Excel to a high standard.
- Excellence in written communication, and a strong command of grammar.
- Comfortable working with financial transactions and calculations, and with keeping financial records.
- Sound administrative and organisational skills.
- Able to manage a complex and varied workload effectively and accurately and an ability to prioritise appropriately without supervision.
- Able to react appropriately in challenging situations.
- Able to operate within set procedures.
- A clear understanding of the importance of confidentiality and appropriate relationships.
- Able to uphold the vision and values of YMCA Doncaster.
- A flexible attitude to working hours, and a willingness to cover for other staff at very short notice.
We aim to make our job information as clear as possible. If you are considering making an application yourself, and have a query that is not answered above, please email your query to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we accept direct applications only; we do not deal with agencies or other third parties.
To apply for this role
We can accept applications online or via email.
We would also be grateful if you would download and complete our optional Equal Opportunities Form.
Direct Applications Only – Strictly no Agencies or other Third Parties.