Thank you for your interest; this position is now closed.
Hours of Work: An average of 40 hours per week – variable hours, generally between 8am and 11pm Monday to Sunday.
Rate of Pay: £22,500 salary.
Applications are now closed.
We are looking for new staff to join us in the engagement of young people using YMCA services and the supporters who enable everything we do.
The position is varied, requiring great communication skills in person, in writing and when creating visual / print material.
Everything that you do will be about engaging people, whether that is creating a set of tweets to promote a weekend fundraising campaign or delivering a three month wellbeing project to a group of young people.
You may be involved in re-starting our reception and charity shop, covering administration duties and doing all of the bits that connect us with local people. You will be able to respond professionally and confidently when dealing with enquiries.
You will be committed to the wellbeing and development of young people, and will be able to work with them in a range of ways. This is likely to include covering sessions in our accommodation project, working with individuals on a one-to-one basis and delivering new services to Doncaster’s young people – particularly those who have additional needs and vulnerabilities.
You will be adaptable, able to learn quickly and aware that this is a long way from being a 9-5 job.
Completed application forms should be submitted by Sunday 2nd August at 4pm.
We will contact shortlisted candidates via email during the following week.
Shortlisting is based on our Person Specification, and your application should include clear examples of how you meet our criteria.
The position will be available initially to March 2021.
To take on designated responsibilities connected to the engagement of young people using YMCA services and the supporters who enable everything we do.
We expect to make two appointments initially, balancing specific duties according to individual capabilities and the changing needs of our work.
To take on appropriate engagement, administration and project duties during periods of change and the startup of new work.
To cover reception, charity shop and hostel duties where required, attending allocated shifts reliably and on time in order to ensure continuity of cover.
To deal with external enquiries efficiently and in keeping with procedure.
To be accountable for delegated supporter engagement responsibilities appropriate to your experience, which may include, for example,
– Recruitment and / or supervision of volunteers and placements.
– Establishing and operating profitable online alternatives for charity shop sales.
– Re-establishing the charity shop in keeping with new government requirements.
– Completing small applications to trusts and foundations in keeping with agreed cases for support.
– Overseeing other income generation work as required.
– Creating press / email / website content including video, blog posts, graphics and photographs to engage local people and organisations in supporting YMCA Doncaster.
– Collecting usable donated goods from allocated organisations.
– Organising recycling collections for unsellable / unusable donations.
– Organising supporter engagement initiatives and fundraising events.
– Attending designated opportunities to promote YMCA Doncaster’s work to potential supporters.
To be accountable for delegated client engagement responsibilities appropriate to your experience, which may include, for example,
– Providing keywork and other support to a caseload of young people.
– Designing and delivering new learning, support, social or wellbeing projects to young people in individual or group settings.
– Creating press / email / website content including service descriptions / sign-up procedures, video, blog posts, graphics and photographs to engage young people and their advisors in YMCA projects.
– Supporting young people in accessing other specialist services as required.
To operate social media accounts as required.
To carry out specific research and reporting tasks.
To assist with other initiatives, events and forums as required.
To keep financial and other records as required.
To ensure that work areas, buildings and entry points are secure.
To approach the role with professionalism, and to maintain appropriate boundaries with staff, clients and others.
Additional or other duties as necessary within your capabilities and status to meet the needs of YMCA Doncaster.
Relevant professional experience including responsibility for successful engagement activities.
Adaptable and able to learn quickly.
Written communication skills at a level appropriate for creating website content, fundraising appeals and formal reports.
Strong IT skills, including the ability to use Word and Excel and to adapt well to new online services and software using product guides (likely to include Slack, Canva, WordPress and others).
Excellent attention to detail and a good eye for visual presentation.
Comfortable with financial records, transactions and calculations.
Strong administrative and organisational skills.
A commitment to the wellbeing and development of young people.
Able to work with young people with a range of personal and social vulnerabilities.
Able to deal appropriately with difficult and demanding situations.
Able to operate within set procedures.
Understanding of appropriate professional boundaries, safeguarding and data protection arrangements.
Able to carry out monitoring patrols across indoor and outdoor areas including four floors and two stairways, and to deal with any issues arising.
Able to move furniture or large items safely.
Able to attend shifts reliably and on time.
A flexible attitude to working patterns, including the ability to work varied and unsociable hours.
Able to represent the Association positively, professionally and with credibility.
We are currently accepting online applications only. Please click here or on the picture below.
We will use your application to assess how you fit with the role and our criteria.
If the role requires written communication skill, we will score this based on the written communication in your application.
As well as asking for a six year work history (dates, employers, positions), we will also ask you the following six questions. You may want to prepare your responses in advance
- Please tell us about your experience of taking responsibility for people, places or an area of work.
- What is your understanding of YMCA Doncaster, the young people we work with and the issues they might face?
- Please give an example of a time where you have used standard workplace procedures.
- Please tell us about the professional boundaries that might be important in the job you’re applying for.
- What computer experience do you have, at home or at work?
- With reference to the Job Description and Person Specification on our website, please tell us why you would be the right person for this particular job.
We have limited staff available for enquiries at present.
If you have read the information on this page and have a question, please click here to see our applicant FAQs page.
If you are unable to find the answer to your question having done this, please send your question via email louise @ ymcadoncaster.org.uk (remove the spaces).
Direct Applications Only – Strictly no Agencies or other Third Parties.