Full Time. £24,480 per annum.
We are looking for an organised and effective person to help manage the safety, maintenance and cleaning of YMCA Doncaster’s property and premises.
This will include reporting, audit checks and administrative duties, as well as overseeing and instructing others in a range of repair and maintenance tasks.
You will be responsible for ensuring that Health and Safety procedures are being complied with, conducting regular checks across our site and overseeing the work of external contractors.
You will be working with our established systems, ensuring that the building and site are properly maintained, cleaned and well-presented. This will include some supervisory responsibilities.
As a part of our Duty Management team, you will be involved in dealing with staffing or other issues across the organisation as they arise, and you will be included in our out-of-hours On Call rota with two or three others.
You will have some recent relevant experience or transferrable skills, an understanding of relevant Health and Safety / maintenance issues and strong attention to detail. You will also have some experience of leading / managing staff or volunteers.
We are currently considering applications as they come in; please apply at any time. There is no closing date. All applications are scored against our person specification.
Please note that we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates. If you do not hear from us within three weeks you’ve unfortunately not been successful on this occasion.
Hours of Work
40 hours plus On Call duties.
On site work will generally be between the hours of 8am and 11pm. Evening work, primarily covering as part of the Duty Managers’ rota, is a regular part of the job.
The On Call provision is in place at all times, including weekends, nights and Bank Holidays, and is covered on a rota basis with three or four individuals.
To carry out a variety of duties to help manage the safety, maintenance and cleaning of YMCA Doncaster’s properties and premises. This will include preparing reports in line with set procedures, auditing of various items across the premises and other administrative duties.
- To be responsible for checking that Health and Safety procedures are being complied with, and to take responsibility for other Health and Safety tasks as designated by the Line Manager.
- To conduct regular Health and Safety checks across the site and to meet with contractors and others to oversee their work.
- To ensure that resident clients receive a clear verbal Health and Safety induction within their first seven days in residence and to co-ordinate additional instruction on maintenance and safety issues during a residence where required by the Line Manager.
- To complete audits and the checking of records, and to deal with designated matters arising including coaching and instruction of staff at various levels.
- To ensure that the building and site are appropriately maintained, cleaned and well-presented, and that regular and cyclical programmes are in place.
- To instruct staff on how to complete a range of repair and maintenance tasks.
- To co-ordinate the accurate collection and production of data relating to a range of performance indicators.
- To complete administrative tasks to assist the Operations Manager.
- To keep financial and other records as required.
- To provide regular reports as required.
- To supervise relevant staff, students or volunteers.
- To contribute to drawing together evidence relating to Quality systems.
- To assist in the general leadership of YMCA Doncaster, and to offer flexibility in both patterns of work and duties undertaken.
- To cover accommodation, reception or other duties where necessary in times of absence or vacancies.
- To act as a shift Duty Manager, including dealing with any staffing or other issues arising during periods of duty.
- To be part of the out-of-hours On Call rota with two or three others, responding effectively to concerns. This will include finding cover in the case of sickness or other absence, or covering a shift at very short notice when no other cover is available.
- To contribute to the selection and induction of new staff and volunteers across the Association.
- To develop and maintain appropriately professional relationships with members, users and with other staff, and to maintain absolute confidentiality at all times.
- To represent senior staff and the Association positively in all relationships, both internal and external.
- To work within the policies and procedures of YMCA Doncaster, and to contribute to their development.
- Other reasonable duties as required from time to time by the Line Manager.
Person Specification – Please ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how you meet each of the criteria below.
- A sound educational background, with a minimum of 5 GCSEs at C or above, 5 O Levels at C or above or equivalent other qualifications.
- Recent relevant experience or transferrable skills.
- Understanding of relevant Health & Safety and maintenance issues.
- Experience of carrying out a range of repair and maintenance tasks to a high standard.
- Strong attention to detail and high levels of accuracy when inputting data and creating reports.
- Able to use Microsoft Word and Excel to a high standard.
- Comfortable with administrative duties which will include working with financial records and cash handling.
- Experience of managing a varied workload efficiently.
- Experience of leadership and management of staff and / or volunteers.
- Able to work within organisational procedures.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate well with colleagues, as well as customers or clients with complex needs and / or challenging behaviours.
- Experience of taking responsibility for unexpected situations and making significant decisions in accordance with policy.
- Able to be assertive and tenacious where necessary.
- Experience of maintaining confidentiality and appropriate relationships, and a clear understanding of the importance of those.
- Able to work to the Vision and Values of YMCA Doncaster.
- A flexible attitude to working hours.
- Able to cover part of the out-of-hours On Call rota and to attend site within two hours in the event of an emergency.
- Able to represent the Association positively, professionally and with credibility.
Our online application form asks about your work history and qualifications.
We also ask the following questions; these are core skills for all candidates. The length and detail of your answers will vary depending on the job that you are applying for.
Your examples can be from work, or from any voluntary, faith or team responsibilities that you have taken part in outside of work.
This is the main section that we use to score your application and will determine whether or not you are taken to the next stage.
You may want to prepare your answers beforehand and then copy them into the application at the appropriate places.
We also use your responses to these questions to score written communication skills necessary for the position.
We recommend that you complete the application on a desktop / laptop computer. We do not recommend doing this on a mobile phone.
- Please tell us about your experience of taking responsibility for people, places or an area of work.
- What is your understanding of YMCA Doncaster, the young people we work with and the issues they might face?
- Please give an example of a time where you have used standard workplace procedures.
- Please tell us about the professional boundaries that might be important in the job you’re applying for.
- What computer experience do you have, at home or at work?
- Please tell us, using examples where possible, how you meet each of the criteria on our Person Specification for this position.
When you are ready to complete your application, please click here or click on the picture below.
We would also be grateful if you would download and complete our optional Equal Opportunities Monitoring form. Please click here to do so.
Direct Applications Only – Strictly no Agencies or other Third Parties.