This privacy statement explains how YMCA Doncaster collects, uses, stores, shares and protects information as a data controller and a data processor.
How We Collect Personal Information
We collect personal information in the following ways:
Directly from individuals when they
- Subscribe to our newsletter.
- Download our reports or guides.
- Donate money or items to YMCA Doncaster.
- Register for an event.
- Apply for a job, volunteering role or placement with us.
- Join us as a member.
- Apply for accommodation and support with us.
- Enter a contract, agreement or licence with us for the provision of accommodation and support.
- Register as a beneficiary of another service provided by us.
- Visit to make use of rooms or facilities in our Community Centre.
- Visit a resident client.
- Visit a staff member.
- Participate in a survey.
- Contact us with an enquiry.
From other sources
- By viewing publicly available information.
- When receiving information from referees, and from other individuals or organisations assisting us with background checks and risk assessments, including for jobs, volunteering roles and applications for accommodation, support and other social programmes.
- As individuals and vehicles enter our property.
The Personal Information We Collect May Include
- Personal identifiers such as title, name and contact details including postal address, email and telephone number.
- Photographs for publicity and history purposes, where the individual has consented to be photographed.
- Vehicle information including make, model and licence plate number.
- Sensitive personal data, which we process in accordance with the data protection regulations. Such information may include
– Racial or ethnic origin.
– Political opinion.
– Religious, philosophical or similar beliefs.
– Trade union membership.
– Physical or mental health conditions.
– Sexual orientation and activity.
– Information about criminal convictions and offences, and information relating to criminal allegations and proceedings.
Why We Collect Personal Information
We only collect personal information where we have a legal basis for doing so.
- To comply with employment law and other statutory responsibilities.
- To enable us to provide goods, services and / or information.
- To update those people who want to receive information about our work.
- To ensure the safety and security of staff and other individuals using our premises, and to prevent or address the misuse of our premises and property.
How We Use Personal Data
We only use personal data where we have a legal basis for doing so.
- We use the email address and first name of individual supporters, where the individual opts to provide this at the time of giving their support, to offer our thanks for their support, and to communicate the impact and significance of donations. We also invite individual supporters to subscribe to more frequent updates. The individual may unsubscribe from updates at any time.
- We use the other information given to us by individuals to respond to enquiries, assess whether to offer employment, volunteering roles or places with our accommodation and support or social programmes, monitor the safety and security of our premises and property and to monitor, evaluate and improve the services that we provide to our supporters and beneficiaries.
- We use the information provided to us by third parties in order to assist with our assessments, and to ensure that participants in our accommodation and support or social programmes are appropriately placed and continue to benefit from the services that we provide.
- We use publicly available information to communicate with individuals or organisations where we believe that our information will be of relevance to them, and to invite them to subscribe to further updates.
Your Information, Rights and Choices
You have the right to
- Request in writing and securely obtain copies of the personal information that YMCA Doncaster holds about you.
- Request that incorrect or out-of-date information is updated or amended.
- Request that YMCA Doncaster stops using your personal information for marketing purposes or for any other purpose where there is no legal requirement for continued processing.
Individuals registered for email updates can unsubscribe using the link provided at the bottom of each email.
How Long We Keep Your Data
The length of time we hold personal information for varies depending on the type of information and its use. We will only keep personal information for as long as is necessary to provide the services and / or products that you have registered for or requested, or for such services and products to be assessed and evaluated, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes and enforcing our agreements.
We also retain data in accordance with statutory requirements, and we keep limited historical information including governance minutes and selected photographs, cuttings and similar.
How We Share Information
- We share information with third party providers including providers of email services, our professional financial and legal advisors, our insurers where necessary and the organisations who administer donations for us. The only purpose for sharing information in those ways is to enable those organisations to provide services to us.
- We do not share any information about individual supporters with any other organisation or individual for any other purpose unless we have the individual’s consent.
- As part of contracted arrangements, and / or in order to provide our beneficiaries with the best possible services, we share personal information with our local authority and with the housing and support organisations who provide services on their behalf. In those cases, we ensure that the individuals concerned are aware that their data may be shared and the reasons for us doing so.
- As part of funding agreements, we may be required to share information about beneficiaries with funders to assist with their monitoring or evaluation procedures. Such information is generally provided as anonymised data.
- In order to highlight and promote our work, we share impact stories from individual clients who have consented to help us in this way. In those cases, photographs and personal identities are anonymised.
- We use historical photographs and information as part of our archive and to promote the long history of YMCA Doncaster and the service of Doncaster people.
- We use information about staff and volunteers in order to give an insight to our work and encourage others to join us.
- We share information about individuals in other circumstances where the law requires us to do so, or where our staff reasonably believe that an individual is in danger.
Website and Cookies
Complaints and Queries
We do our best to meet the highest standards in the collection and use of personal data. For this reason, we take complaints seriously and would encourage individuals to contact us where they believe that the collection or use of their information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate. Any correspondence should be sent to the address provided below. Queries may also be addressed to duty @ doncasterymca.org.uk
We keep our privacy arrangements under regular review and advise that you check our website from time to time.
For more information about your information rights, you may want to visit ico.org.uk