£10.30 per hour – Tuesday to Saturday – 9.30am to 3pm
£14,729 per annum (£21,424 pro rata)
We’re looking for someone to oversee our charity shop, including the supervision of volunteers and placement staff, receiving stock, merchandising and maximising income to support our work with young people.
We have a large shop taking in donations of clothing, electrical goods and other items. The shop is not part of a chain and operates solely to raise funds for work with young people in Doncaster; you will be making a direct difference and will have opportunity to increase turnover through engaging more volunteers, donors and customers.
You’ll need some experience of retail or customer service and will have a good commercial mindset.
If you might be the person we’re looking for, we’d love to hear from you.
Completed application forms should be submitted as below by 12 noon on Friday 30th April.
We expect to hold first interviews via telephone on 6th or 7th May and second interviews via Zoom on 13th or 14th May.
All applications are scored against our person specification.
Please note that we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates. If you do not hear from us within three weeks you’ve unfortunately not been successful on this occasion.
Hours of Work
Tuesday to Saturday – 9.30am to 3pm
To ensure the effective operation of YMCA Doncaster’s Charity Shop, including training and supervising volunteers and placement staff, receiving stock and maximising income to support YMCA Doncaster’s work with young people.
- To meet or exceed sales targets.
- To administer and operate within tight expenditure budgets.
- To maximise gift aid income and ensure that compliant records are kept.
- To organise online sales, deliveries and collections as required.
- To ensure that stock is correctly received and sorted, including separation of high value items and safe disposal of unsellable goods.
- To price stock at a consistent level in accordance with YMCA Doncaster’s price guides and ensure there is adequate flow of stock from stockroom to the shop floor or online outlets.
- To select, train and supervise volunteers and placement staff according to the established processes.
- To achieve and maintain high standards of housekeeping, organisation and cleanliness throughout the shop including the shop floor and stockroom areas.
- To provide regular reports / returns as required.
- To ensure that donor information is collected and passed on to the appropriate staff member.
- To take responsibility for security of keys and the till during opening hours.
- To ensure that the shop is secured when closed.
- To ensure that YMCA Doncaster’s Health and Safety arrangements and relevant retail legislation are complied with at all times.
- To maintain a good knowledge of other aspects of YMCA Doncaster and promote those within the shop.
- To liaise with the designated staff member(s) on issues relating to cleaning, PR, marketing and strategy.
- To represent the Association positively in all relationships, both internal and external.
- To work within policies and procedures of YMCA Doncaster, and to contribute to their development.
- Other reasonable duties as required from time to time by the Line Manager.
Please ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how you meet each of the criteria below.
- Experience of taking responsibility for an area of work, including supervising or instructing others.
- Able to attend shifts reliably and on time.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to focus on the main goal of maximising income for the charity.
- Able to recognise high value items in order to generate maximum income.
- An understanding of visual merchandising.
- Ability to move furniture or other large items safely.
- Comfortable working with cash handling and accurate till work.
- Sound time management and organisational skills.
- Able to demonstrate adaptability and the ability to learn quickly.
- Experience of working within clear Health and Safety arrangements.
- Able to react appropriately in challenging situations.
- Able to operate within set procedures.
- Able to represent YMCA Doncaster positively and professionally.
We aim to make our job information as clear as possible. If you are considering making an application yourself, and have a query that is not answered above, please email your query to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we accept direct applications only; we do not deal with agencies or other third parties.
To apply for this role
Our online application form asks about your work history and qualifications.
We also ask the following questions; these are core skills for all candidates. The length and detail of your answers will vary depending on the job that you are applying for. Your examples can be from work, or from any voluntary, faith or team responsibilities that you have taken part in outside of work.
This is the main section that we use to score your application and will determine whether or not you are taken to the next stage.
You may want to prepare your answers beforehand and then copy them into the application at the appropriate places.
We also use your responses to these questions to score written communication skills necessary for the position.
We recommend that you complete the application on a desktop / laptop computer. We do not recommend doing this on a mobile phone.
- Please tell us about your experience of taking responsibility for people, places or an area of work.
- What is your understanding of YMCA Doncaster, the young people we work with and the issues they might face?
- Please give an example of a time where you have used standard workplace procedures.
- Please tell us about the professional boundaries that might be important in the job you’re applying for.
- What computer experience do you have, at home or at work?
- Please tell us, using examples where possible, how you meet each of the criteria on our Person Specification for this position.
When you are ready to complete your application, please click here or click on the picture below.
We would also be grateful if you would download and complete our optional Equal Opportunities Monitoring form. Please click here to do so.
Direct Applications Only – Strictly no Agencies or other Third Parties.